Saturday, March 28, 2009

Canon Mark III

I recently purchased a Canon Mark III. I have been very hesitant to purchase this camera due to all the focusing issues after the initial release of the camera. I know some people feel these issues were blown way out of proportion, but I believe that they were genuine. There was just way too many respected photographers that noted this problem, to not believe it! It is also apparent that not all cameras were affected.

Canon released a new Firmware (1.2.5) and a new "fix" for affected cameras earlier this month. See this link.

After reading several good initial responses to this fix I opted to purchase a Mark III. The new cameras are marked with a "yellow dot" and have Firmware 1.2.5 installed.

I've "tested" the camera this week in multiple shooting scenarios to try and test the autofocus including static subjects, a fast running dog running directly at the camera and Birds in Flight. I have been extremely happy with the camera's AF system. IMHO, it acquires AF faster than my Mark IIN and does not lose focus, unless I lose the subject away from the selected focus point.

I've posted a gallery of photos on my website as examples from this weeks testing. It is important to note that I did not only choose those photos in focus to display, the vast majority of photos were in focus and those that weren't were due to my error not the cameras.

I hope this means that the focus issues for this camera are finally fixed, I guess only time will tell.

To see the gallery please visit this link - 27-March Phlog

No comments: